Sinusitis, a condition characterized by the inflammation of the sinus lining membranes, affects millions of people each year. It’s a condition that can range from mildly annoying to severely impacting daily life. At San Antonio ENT, we are dedicated to providing comprehensive care for all sinus conditions, using a blend of advanced diagnostics and treatment options.
What is Sinusitis?
Sinusitis occurs when the sinuses, which are air-filled spaces in the skull, become inflamed. This inflammation can block the sinuses, leading to a build-up of mucus. It’s often triggered by an infection or by ongoing issues such as allergies or nasal polyps.
Symptoms of Sinusitis
The symptoms of sinusitis can vary from person to person. However, if you experience any of the following symptoms for ten days or longer, it may be time to seek medical attention:
- Facial pressure or pain
- Headache pain
- Congestion or stuffy nose
- Thick, yellow-green nasal discharge
- Low fever (99-100°F)
- Bad breath
- Pain in the upper teeth
If you’ve answered “Yes” to three or more of these symptoms, you might be suffering from a sinus infection.
At San Antonio ENT, our ENT providers are equipped to diagnose sinus conditions effectively. We use a variety of methods including:
- Endoscopy of the Nose and Sinus Drainage: This allows us to look directly at the sinus drainage areas.
- CT Scan of the Sinus: Conducted in our office, this provides detailed images of the sinus cavities to help in the accurate diagnosis of your condition.
Advanced Treatment Options
The treatment of sinusitis depends on the severity and cause of your symptoms. Our approach includes:
- Oral Medications: These can include antibiotics if a bacterial infection is present, or corticosteroids to reduce inflammation.
- Sinus Rinse with Medications: This can help alleviate symptoms and is often used in conjunction with other treatments.
- In-Office Procedures: For patients suffering from sinus and allergic conditions, we offer minimally invasive procedures that can provide significant relief.
- Advanced Surgical Care: For chronic or severe cases, surgery might be the best option. We specialize in minimally invasive sinus surgery, which involves less discomfort and quicker recovery times compared to traditional methods.
Post-operative care is crucial for a speedy and effective recovery. Our team at San Antonio ENT ensures that every patient receives personalized care instructions following any procedure. We monitor your recovery closely and are always available to address any concerns or questions you might have.
Sinusitis can be more than just a nuisance; it can significantly affect your quality of life. However, with the right diagnosis and treatment plan, most people can find relief. At San Antonio ENT, our goal is to alleviate the discomfort caused by sinusitis through state-of-the-art, compassionate care. If you suspect you have sinusitis, or if you’re struggling with ongoing sinus issues, we encourage you to schedule an appointment with our specialists. Together, we can find the best treatment path for your unique situation.